Medical malpractice claims are one of the most common types of litigation in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Medical professionals have a duty to provide competent care to their patients, but sometimes mistakes happen. Due to advances in medical science over the past decade, these mistakes are becoming more costly and complex. A doctor’s failure to follow established procedures or protocols can be considered medical malpractice.
Philadelphia, PA personal injury attorneys often play a key role in medical malpractice claims. They are often skilled at negotiating settlements that include compensation for pain and suffering and reimbursement for medical bills and lost wages. In these cases, the attorney is consulted by the patient or their family to assess whether they have a legitimate claim and how they can go about filing these claims.
We will now have a look into the most prevalent medical malpractice claims in Philadelphia.
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis is a common medical malpractice claim in Philadelphia. This type of malpractice may occur when a doctor fails to diagnose an illness, which leads to a more severe illness later, or when a doctor’s care causes a delay in diagnosis. Although the healthcare system is becoming more highly regulated due to this, this type of case still occurs in the city. While there are many doctors who make mistakes, these cases could be prevented with thorough doctor-patient communication and adherence to the best practices for diagnosis and treatment.
- Prescription drug errors
Medical malpractice claims are something all doctors anxiously await. The most common of these are prescription drug errors which usually lead to the death of the patient. In Philadelphia, prescription drug errors are a common medical malpractice claim. In these cases, a doctor might prescribe the wrong medication, prescribe the right medication in the wrong forum, or prescribe two different medications that conflict with each other.
- Surgical or procedural errors
Statistics show that approximately 90% of all medical malpractice claims in Philadelphia are related to surgical or procedural errors. That means almost all medical malpractice claims in Philadelphia are related to surgical or procedural errors.
These mistakes often cause serious injury to the patient, which is why it is so important when seeking compensation for the injury. It would be best if you hire an experienced personal injury attorney to get the deserving compensation.
Any form of accident can leave you in a state of panic for some time especially if it has involved relatively major injuries. No matter how natural this panic state is, it doesn’t help much. You need to get to your senses and seek medical help fast. If you are injured severely and cannot call anyone for help, stay in your place and wait for help to arrive, which is quick in cities like Philadelphia.
Once you have received emergency care and you are in more control of your health, you can contact the police and Philadelphia, PA personal injury attorneys to get compensation for your loss. Lawyers at Quinn Law Group are experts at handling such cases and their dedication towards their clients is commendable. They only take their deserving fees only after you have received well-deserved compensation from either your insurance agency or third-party whose negligence caused you harm.
Read More: How can you hire a good car accident lawyer?
Steps you must follow after sustaining injuries instead of panicking
The first step is giving your injuries the primary attention without any delays. If the injuries are minor and you can manage them on your own, you can follow these steps to ensure that you are appropriately compensated for your loss:
- Collect evidence:
- Take photographs of the damage to your vehicle and even of your injuries at the site of the accident itself.
- If possible, take the contact information of the third party or driver whose negligence was responsible for the accident.
- If you can, quickly write down a detailed description of the series of events that led to the accident for better recall when the officials arrive.
- Contact officials:
- You must contact the police so that can begin the legal process and also document their observations while they make a report.
- Avoid arguments and even apologizing on the scene:
- Do what is necessary at that point like calling out for a doctor or an attorney and even police officials.
- Don’t say sorry and completely avoid getting into arguments as your statements can be used against you during the court case.
- Contact your lawyer before the insurance agents:
- Apart from your doctor, police official, and your attorney, you must not discuss any points of the accident even with your insurance agency.
Your insurance agents can use your phone call as records and this is why doing so in the presence of a legal representative in Philadelphia will save you from the future struggle of getting the monetary compensation that you truly deserve.